Saturday, June 20, 2009

Mark "The Sarnosaurus " Sarno


Current music: Tales of Shatou by BURN



This interview is with Mark Sarno. Mark currently is the drummer of New Lows and used to play hardcore drumming in With One Intent and Downhill Fast. He also used to play regular rock drumming in The Call Up and The Losing Kind. Things I can tell you about Mark is that he is an upper echelon character that went to BC High and loves fire trucks. He works at whole foods , so stop worrying if you thought you were going to read an interview with someone that doesn't support a greener earth. He loves Ron Francis, Mike Dijan, Chris Nilan, and Papa Gino's. For 1.5 years I was privileged enough to share the stage with him. That stage wasn't always the pinnacle of greatness, but it did always have great drumming. like really good drumming. Like insanely incredible Alan Cage from Burn/Quicksand style drumming


1. What are 5 things that come to mind when you hear the phrase "Boston in the 80's"?

a. the EL courtesy of you sparking my interest in the old subway shit (The tracks above north station)
b. the Garden
c. WBCN being a great radio station
d. Joe Tecce's (when it was good)
e. wish i could remember more

2. Lime green fire trucks you say? Tell me more...

Yeah. I have always been interested in the fire department and wanted to be a fire fighter, but for various reasons it never happened. But, yeah I went to school in newton during the 80's and they had lime green fire trucks, and there was a fire station near my school so I would always see them. Medford and Boston had them too. I guess for like 7 or 8 years and then a new fire chief shut that down pretty quick. I personally like red fire trucks, but i guess it was a phase in the late 70's into the 80's. But the best thing about the BFD in the 80's was the tiller ladder trucks, but they phased those out towards the late 1980's. Watertown even had one and they were practicing down the street from my house and I got to drive the tiller. It was awesome.

3. Have you ever been out to Long Island in Boston Harbor?


No actually I have not, but would like to some day.


4. Best old Boston
Garden memory?

Probably going to see the Celtics with my dad and Larry Bird fowled out of the game. Near the end of the game, my old man points out that Wayne Gretzky is sitting below us on the floor. So my Dad happen to know the guy doing security by the entrance to the floor so he lets me go over to get his autograph. I get Gretzky's autograph and go back to my dad, not realizing that Mark Messier and Kevin Lowe were sitting right next to him.

5. Best diner in Watertown?


Hmm...well I'd have to say the New York diner. It has changed owners and is still as good. Great homefries. Growing up, I used to go to Tresca's a lot, and they also have great homefries. Victor's too closer to brighton is good, but not as good as it used to be. They have awesome homefries as well. In my opinion, thats one of the make or breaks of a diner; the homefries. That Town Diner blows. Overrated yuppie diner. I remember the day I walked in to eat there and hadn't been in a while. I didn't recognize any of the staff and took one look at the menu, saw "egg-less" salad sandwiches and got up and walked out...and I love veg/vegan food.

6. What was it like playing a hardcore show at Nick's comedy stop?

It was awesome. It was so ignorant actually. With One intent covered No Remorse by COT. I turned around at one point during the first Overcast song and someone behind me was about to be smashed over the head with a folding chair and chaos erupted from that point.

7. Who was the best hockey player to come out of the Catholic Conference?

Teddy Donato or Shawn MacEachern. Chris Nilan too, but he's more like most ignorant player.

8. Since I’ve known you , I’ve known you to be a very calm person as well as a very good driver., but not always together. Not violently per se, but “the beast within” may come out. One good example is when you are driving south and entering the Bronx. The projects on the left and the driving range on the right always seems make you insanely awesome, why is this? Any other driving situations that you despise?

You know, there is ALWAYS traffic there. No matter what time of day, no matter what day, shit comes to a fucking halt there. I also hate driving in Fresh Pond; that is always a mess. You know, I am going to go ahead and say, I officially hate driving. I cant wait for the warm weather so I can walk to work.

9. Typical Papa Gino's order?

Small Cheese. I gotta say, for chain pizza this place takes the cake. Plus I can walk there.

10. Don Bosco or Chinatown YMCA?
Don Bosco

left: Mark enjoying his favorite
past time, hanging out with a wealthy group of investors.

2 comments:

  1. they changed the color of fire trucks to green because red is at the far end of the visible spectrum of light. and even though it doesn't seem this way, our eyes identify green and yellow much better than red and blue/purple. The color change was to stop the rising rate of crashes when the trucks are speeding to get to a fire. not trying to sound like a smartass, just thought you might like to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info, but I did know that thanks to a bunch of firefighters that I am friends with. I didn't feel like touching upon that.

    ReplyDelete