Friday, October 15, 2010

Keith Powers Interview. part 1 of my "People from NYC" series

Thiis an interview with my good friend Keith Powers. He is unlike most people I interview for this piece of crap blog. How so? Well he grew up in NYC and is named after Keith Richards (no lie).

What are your thoughts on Pearse?
It goes without saying that Pearse is the most awesome dude around (besides us two handsome gentleman). Always quick with a joke or a compliment or a witty-one line, Pearse is a funnier, better dressed, nicer version of basically everyone.

If Pearse was a sports player besides Derek Jeter, who would he be?

Wow. That's the best question I've ever gotten. After watching the 30 for 30 on him, I'd go with Vlade Divac. I was going to go with Kevin McHale, because of the Boston connection... but now I'm just pretending I know a lot about Kevin Mchale. PS Drazen Petrovic was awesome.

If Pearse was on the NY Football giants, who would he be?

Steve Smith, not a lot of flash but just a steady performer.
oh come on.

No good?

you can do better. it doesn't have to be a current player

Jeff Feagles baby. PS Only person you'll meet who owns a Jeff Feagles jersey.

How do you like the New Giants Stadium ? I called it that for you. None of this meadowlands crap.

You're so good to me. It's pathetic that they don't have a name yet. It's OK - lots of people don't like it but I got a seats upgrade so who am I to complain? Back to Pearse for a second: Pearse is the guy you draft in the second/third round of a fantasy football draft and never look back. Let the other guys take the rockstars, you take Pearse and win the league.

I can agree with that. (for people that don't know about football drafts, the second and third rounds are still very important)

Did you hear the Boston Patriots got Deion Branch back?

I did. Seems like they're trying to re-live the glory days. I should take this moment to start a mini-rant about how ridiculous it is that they're the NEW ENGLAND patriots and not the Boston Patriots. They get like 6 states? Ridiculous.

fuck the other 5 states

my thoughts exactly
did those other states produce downhill fast? exactly (cue correction that Austin is from Maine)

Well Maine used to be part of Massachusetts
I would love to build a tunnel under New Hampshire

That's right.. that was so weird How is there not a venue called The Plymouth Rock?

I'm not sure, but did you know there is a rock in Plymouth, MA that the pilgrims supposedly landed at?

The pilgrims just sound made up

Did you know the Red Sox used to be called the Pilgrams

that makes sense but that's an awful name
Yeah, like The Highlanders (Yankees first name) is any better. Do you miss Yankee Stadium, Giants Stadium, NYC Crime, or CBGB's most?
Tough call, but solid question. I'd say it's CBGB's in the end... they built new stadiums and now 80% of the time I'm the toughest person on a given block. I miss CB's stage dives.
I miss playing there. as if I did it all the time..

Lots of memories there - Danny BK getting banned at age 15, Jarrod using the awful facilities there, KYI shows, just everything Haha I remember when DHF played there Thats when the Jarrod thing happened
I miss covering Burn and forgetting the lyrics

I saw some legendarily awful shows at CBGB's, probably more than most people On The Rise + 30 bands that stink

Bands that stink like Kill Your Idols?

KYI was one of the best. I saw them on St. Patty's day with like 20 other people and CB's for some reason had tables + chairs set up... meaning chairs and tables got crushed when KYI came on. I wasn't there for the show when Andy got busted though
I'm just being a goose. Nothing ruffles NYHC folk's feathers more than saying KYI sucks
Haha. At this point its probably true.. for people my age and around it. KYI was underrated for years but by the end was an important band for a lot of people They're not 'sacred' like other bands though whatever that really means KYI did it right though, saw them in 2004 in a house in Indianapolis.. like 15 people showed up but it was so awesome an dthe played great

Favorite NY post headline?

"Ho No" about the Spitzer thing wasn't bad. Everyday is an amazing one. I hope they're paying that guy good money. "Headless Body in Topless Bar" was a famous one
I personally loved "Giant Idiot" about your boy Plaxico Burress

That job and doing like the 30 second announcements on WFAN have to be two of the top gigs around in NYC

Do you miss The Mad Dog?

I don't like Mike Francesca, and I definitely don't like him by himself. So yes. Mad Dog's rants were legendary. Max Kellerman on ESPN Radio was awesome


Do you like the New York Knickerbockers?

I was born and raised a Knicks fan, so its in my blood. But I became a lowly Nets fan at some point in the mid-90's and so I technically root for them. More because the NBA is a joke and I might as well go full in on the joke.

I honestly wish the Knicks were good.As did Red, in the early days of the NBA he pushed to give them extra draft picks so create a hoop buzz in ny and the buzz is obviously there, but the teams are atrocious


Me too -- NYC is a basketball town and if the Knicks and St Johns become good again, it's gonna be a fun, fun time to be around. NBA has become a sport that you need prime time guys to win and without that you're nothing. contracts and high draft picks. the knicks did awfully with both.

I would love a Celtics/ Knicks rivalry

Boston vs. New York has given me the greatest and worst sports moments of my life.

they just havent been good at the same time since the early 70's

Can you guys lend us Jon Lester for the ALCS?

no

ah all right

Do you think the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry is too tame now?

Its running on fumes now. It only matters because of standings, not because of personal feelings. Remember when BHC and NYHC were supposed to be enemies....? or something?

Not really. because NYHC is a lot like the Knicks and BHC i alot like the 17 time world champion Boston Celtics

Haha. You mean NYHC stinks now?

Oh yeah

Nice. I need to run in a minute or two. We wanna do any last questions?

Where are you going?

meeting a friend for lunch

What are you going to order?

Chinese food - one of the lunch specials. Lo Mein? And a side order of please don't give me salmonella.

No comments:

Post a Comment