Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Interview with Pat Flynn of The North End / New Bedford (also singer of Have Heart )



Here is an interview I conducted with Patrick Flynn over the past few days via Facebook messaging. My questions will be in blue and white. Pat's answers will be in red

-So your last name is Flynn which is a lot like my last name. Are you a fan of Last in Line and The Prowl featuring Mikey Flynn?

i was a big Last in line fan and early '00s western mass hc, and the prowl was cool too. Although the biggest Flynn musical creation I'm most partial to, aside from Shot Dead (was that your band, something like that i think) is this guy Patrick Flynn, the conductor. Check him out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8BeKkkGqYY - I've never seen someone grace Tchaikovsky w/ such brilliance. I'm hoping as I apply to grad school that the admissions office interprets my "musical career" that i mention in my personal state and googles my name and finds this guy.

What are you thoughts on that basketball court in the North End off of Salem Street behind J. Pace? My father apparently used to buy fireworks there in the 80's

I live on that street. Ive never bought any fireworks there though. There is a mattress on the alley behind it. i'll send you a pic of it for the viewing pleasure of the interview.

Speaking of Salem Street in the North End, I recently ran into you there coming out of a coffee shop. Did you ever have any luck finding a job? i hope you did



I did. Im part time at as a concierge on Boylston in Fenway. The people who hired me assured me that I will be opening doors for red sox players. I'm going to quit once I hear back from this school I applied to sub at. I think that will be tomorrow

Sweet Pete is a good friend of yours
right? Did you know he is from Quincy, MA?

Pete is a good freind. He has told me many stories of getting beat up in quincy. i dont believe it. ive spent a lotta time in quincy myself. i used to park my car at the redline stop when id come up form new bedford for a red sox game or a show or to buy records. In an unrelated story entirely, this one time even radigan and i went to boston w/ johawk in his brand new minivan. he was 21 and just got his licencse. on the way back from a day of following him around and buying records at Mike(?)'s old store in cambridge, we were on 93 approaching the split to 24 South and Route 3 (to the cape). Joe took route 3, by accident(?????), and 35 minutes later we saw a welcome to plymouth sign. Joe got so pissed he started swaering at me and ev. he then suggested that we were to far out of the way and that he preferred to sleep on the side of the road....(to be continued in another interview by futurebreed)

How cool is Pearse? and while we are at it, how about that handsome devil Evan Radigan?


Pearse is the coolest. Ive never seen a man...i've never seen a man. Evan radigan is by far the most evan radigan i know.

Did you know I once booked your old band The Action Taken in Quincy with Cops and Robbers but the show was canceled?


i dont even remember that. how bout that bridge 9 cops and robbers 7"? i like it better than the first one. SUE me.

what is your favorite North End eatey? and why?
Were you ever a big fan of WBCN?

ernesto's. its right near my apartment and the guy there knows me. why, you ask? for the past couple years he makes me feel strange for not tipping him, even though all he's down is throwing the slice of pizza in the oven and then putting it in a bag. every time i walk in he gives me this look like "oh here's the kid who doesnt tip 50 cents for me bending over", yet none of this has ever been spoken. he smiles as i pay him, but, it feels aggressive. i cant have this experience anywhere else in the north end. AND as for BCN....where else could you find a non-XM radio station that played ANYTHING-chris cornell (largely spoonman 9 out of 10 songs in a row) monday through sunday evening, and lets not forget about wahtever that metal core / hc / punk show they had sunday evenings i'd listen to while trying do my weekend homework....yeah, i remember hearing embrace today on that show a couple times, i wont lie about that. But all in all, i hate soundgarden, temple of the dog = OK (only knew that one song w/ Eddie) and audioslave is just too hard for my ears.


Want to play basketball next week with me? I say we play two on two basketball against a couple of skinheads of the same skill set and call it Skinz versus Flynns.
I have a grant hill jersey and a shawn kemp jersey too. we could make this work, but neither of my jersey's say "flynn" on the back....do you happen to know of any famous flynn basketball players?


What are your top five favorite things about the MBTA?
- an exgirlfriend of mine refuses to take it
- st. patrick's day
- the fenway stop i once sold yankees suck shirts at and sold zero shirts
- the commuter rail to the new bedford stop that doesnt exist yet and probably never will
- the dramatic existential debates i have had on it on my way to work as a telemarketer (also, i was fired from my concierge job in the process of getting the second batch of questions)


With the last name Flynn and all the heritage that goes with it, do you find it hard to live in the North End?
- if i had a meatball for every potato that was thrown at me i wouldnt have to buy any meatballs for a while when i make spagetthi and meatballs for my girlfriend

How awesome is Eye For An Eye?
- it would have been okay for hardcore to have stopped entirely after they did.

Thoughts on Dookie by Green Day?
- i'll tell you what, im on the insomniac train on this one. i remember being in fifth grade feeling hard listening to that record until i discovered 'the downward spiral' which altered the course of my life forever......but thats a whole different interview that i'm doing with futurebreed anyway

final thoughts please

this is the goddamn best interview i've ever done goddammit. over the last 7 god damn years ive done a million goddamn interviews goddamnit and they were always so goddamn stupid "whats straight egde mean to you blah blah shit who doesnt know that im down til death xxx goddammit. HH broke up solely on the account of those god damn intervciews...and im still getting them goddammit. bridge 9 should tells these godamn folks to stop... i just did one yesterday, look at this shit goddamn, its written by a goddamn jamoke for his jamokin' me crazy magazine webzine BLog thing dammit:
-------------
Who are you? - I wish I knew goddammit.
Best friend? - ....jesus fucking christ here we go
What's rad? - easily worst question I have ever been asked
Fave scene from a movie? - benji, dying.
Fave album? - filth pig by faith hill
Who's hard? - I stand corrected, this is the worst question I've ever been asked.
What makes you hard? - hey now, you pulling my leg?
What's paradise? - a world where interviews from fifth graders who send emails in the form of an 8th grade chain mail survey never reach my mailbox.
Last book you read? - glenn beck's memoir
Crime of the century? - this interview
Ultimate collaboration? - wasn't the word urgent attached somewhere in the subject of this email?
Mode of transport? - what?
Don't do this at home kids? - while texting illegally driving in my car trying to pay a fraction of thought to this question, a piece of skin from a KFC drumstick I was snacking on fell on my phone.
Pet peeve? - when my peak on X is hardly better than my peak on crack
Fave city? - paris, texas
-----------
god damn. thanks for the break!


this is the school i went to in Maryland when my father was working at the pentagon. my teachers taught me vowels by pressing PLAY on a tape recorder while she went out to smoke with the pedagogues:
this piece of shit was from new bedford and will probably be the face of every male in america when whatever next shithead conservative runs the country:

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, that skinhead actually looks like a pretty decent kid.

    Remember when you puked on my ceiling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/flynnnn-265x300.jpg

    ReplyDelete