Wednesday, July 1, 2009

My love affair with 1991-1992

So a little to well known fact about me is that I love the early 90's. Specifically 1991 and 1992. 1990 was still kind of the 80's and 1993 was more mid 90's. 1992 was special to me as it was the last year that I was completely sane. My grades were good, it was the last year my parents were together, and I got cute little bassett hound puppy named Stanley. Let me lits of as many reasons as I can possibly can as to why this was the greatest two year stretch ever.

CRYSTAL "CLEAR" PEPSI
Crystal Pepsi was the greatest drink I could ask for. I was obsessed with this stuff. After school every day, I would walk from Sacred Heart Elementry to Sam's Variety store. For $1.00 I would purchase two bottles of Crystal Pepsi amd one pretzel stick. I have no idea why Pepsi would ever get rid of this









PULL OVER STARTER JACKETS

These were huge, so huge. Everyone had one.
If my memory serves me correctly the most popular teams to g
et were the Charlotte Hornets, San Jose Sharks, and Miami Hurricanes. I had a Red Sox one and would constantly get made fun of at school for it. That's how unpopular the Red Sox were then. If you could, please leave a comment with which jacket you had

THE DREAM TEAM

"The Greatest Force ever assembled in the history of ever" - Dance Floor Justin (he said something like that)




TERMINATOR 2

"I'll be back" is what Terminator said in the first movie and sure enough, he came back. True story- In 1992 I went down to the barber shop with a kid named Huey. He had "Terminator 2" shaved into the back of his head. This kid would not settle for "T2", he needed the whole thing. A true believer of the "Go Big of Go Home" way of life. I also got a new hair style that day and that leads us to...


VANILLA ICE LINES
Yep, I had these. In fact I was the first person to EVER have them at Sacred Heart Elementary School in North Quincy. I got them banned too. Not saying I was a trailblazer, but I was a trailblazer. One month later, three other kids had them. These kids happened to be people who's families were more well liked by the school/parish, so the lifted the ban.


SKYBOX HOOPS CARDS
I love these cards. I still have a bunch. Great use of colors and sports stars.







MC HAMMER PANTS
See , I know exactly what you're thinking. "Jimmy always wears cargo shorts, when could he possibly have time to wear MC Hammer pants???" Let me answer that for you. 1992 is when I had time to wears these. I specially remember wearing them at the 1992 Boston Pops 4th of July concert. I had a red, white, and blur pair one. If you are not familiar with this concert, its basically just a bunch of people that set up blankets and have their own little fort things to watch the show. As i was weaving through the sea of mediocre people, I stepped right on someones bologna sandwich.

16 comments:

  1. I had a University Of Alabama Starter pullover, some fuck stole it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had a washington redskins starter jacket. i really wanted a portland trailblazers one that bell biv devoe wore on club mtv one time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a New York Giants pullover Starter jacket, which I always wore with a Miami Hurricanes baseball cap.

    It wasn't my best year for matching colors, but it was certainly my best year for fashion.

    I also had a pair of Skidz overalls that my mother broke the bank just to buy me. We were eating Ramen noodles for two weeks paying for those things.

    And then, about a month later, I was informed by socially prominent Sterling Middle School kids that they were no longer popular, and were on the endangered list, quickly heading into the realm of unaccepted.

    That was the last day I ever wore those Skidz, but I've thought about them everyday since.

    I hope that, when all is said and done, my mother knows how much I loved those pants, and how much more I loved her for buying them for me.

    And don't even get me started on Vanilla Ice lines and MC Hammer pants. I'm sure you've seen my "Ice Ice Baby" video, which, as I remember, was filmed sometime between the years of 1991 and 1992.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just telling some people that I peaked in the early 90's for the many of the same reasons, that was when I was wearing the coolest clothes I have ever owned and the best music was coming out, The Chronic dropped in 1992.

    As for Starter jackets I always had 2 teams. My heavier jackets were always Notre Dame, and my lighter jackets were always North Carolina. My little brother had the Hornets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a celtics starter pullover and I brought it out to shows in 2003 and moshed in it.

    Skidz --- oof those became "sleepwear" for me very quickly. I bought the camouflage ones during Desert Storm as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to have a lot of freckles

    ReplyDelete
  7. im pretty sure i had either a hornets or a bulls pullover. yes, its embarassing considering the celtics fan i've always been.

    Also, i had those "hammer" pants, but they where the generic brand, not the expensive mall versions. I think my mom bought them from Rich's or Zayre's.

    Oh and I bought crystal pepsi every time i went skiing to and from Gunstock mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To whoever mentioned "The Chronic," I now you owe one beer of your choosing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a teal blue starter jacket. No team, just the word STARTER embroidered on the flap of the kangaroo pocket. Everyone made fun of it because it was the same color of a Charlotte Hornets jacket but it wasn't one. My mom bought it for me from Marshalls, and she had a matching one in navy blue. Talk about uncool.

    I finally did get a starter jacket of an actual team in the 6th grade: Dallas Cowboys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sean from Illinois here. Actually, I had a Celtics starter. I think I still have it. Bulls starters were everywhere, and being the fashion dynamo I am, I could not, in good faith, follow the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i had a Pheonix Suns and a Tampa Bay Lightening Starter jacket. Tampa Bay Lightening? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  12. DONT FORGET ABOUT OK SODA AND 1-800-ARE-U-OK

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post. The 90's were great.

    I got sent to boarding school in 1992 and when my parents would come visit I'd make them buy me gallons of Crystal Pepsi. Come winter, I would put these out on my window ledge to chill, and sometimes explode.

    I never had a Sox pull-over starter jacket. I had a Syracuse Orangemen Starter parka and a Sox official warm-up. Brian Bennett, the big middle school jock, made fun of the latter one day (this was in South Jersey, traitor Yankee-fan country) and I smashed his face into a locker.

    I also had a Charles Barkley dream team jersey and that Dee Brown Skybox.

    The guy who ran my summer camp cafeteria the summer before I went away we called "Vanilla Mike" because he had a full Vanilla Ice look: lines in his eyebrows, fake-flattop white guy pompador, braided rat tale. He looked exactly like him. It probably was.

    I was incredibly psyched on T2, although mostly because of the video for "You Could be Mine," the first GN'R offering after all those years (4) of waiting for a new record.

    I never owned hammer pants though, as I was starting to get into punk(ish) shit in 92. I did have a baja, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i hada patriots starter pullover. those were the days...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still have a Portland trail blazers on in perfect condition

    ReplyDelete