Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Mark "I am the singer of the Ducky Boys" Lind interview / Highlights of "The Trouble" thread on the B9 board part1


I Say: " can we all agree that this band is in the upper echelon?"

PBoy says:


Played/was at the first ever Trouble show which was @ The Church in Harvard. We all got drunk off cider in the pit and wandered over. A terrific opening set. Later some girl bit me on the arm and bought me a 40 as an apology. I'm stll alive, so officially a nice trade.

Probably the greatest bunch of guys to play in a band, especially when Makt joined.

Had the 2nd or 3rd ever show on tape. Was at the Rat with Ducky Boys and Vince Vega And The Beer Sluts. Tape currently is hopefully still in Gibby's possession.

Always played the greatest covers as well. Kids Of The Black Hole, Code Blue, Gang Warfare.

I thought that bass rig was Ilhan's?

Mark-Do you remember ripping it up @ the hans 4th of July 96? First night I met you. James Curran was Ike Turner drunk. Think The Ducks had just begun? Was a great summer.

I saw that dude in the first picture get KO'ed in one shot by a very angry fella because he moshed into us at a Sinners N Saints show @ The Mid East. Crumbled against the stage and the floor. Was one of the greatest shots I've ever seen.

Mike K Says: Mark Lind- so you just won a WFNX best music poll award- where's the green flight jacket with Ducky Boys on the back nowadays?

Mark Lind Says:
It's in my back hall. I just saw it the other night and I found a sticker in it from The Shining. And a receipt for a CD I bought in 1999.

Matt Duffy posts:
I ask Mark Lind: 1. "I may not have a thorn of crowns but I love the dirty water and the shit on the ground". did you ever see Crown of Thornz?

No but I was once lucky enough to see Skarhead and they were terrifying. For a second I felt like I was in the ghetto. Sorta like the white kid from Gran Torino. Do you know what I mean, dawg?

2. I've heard you tell me that you once saw Only Living Witness at a bar across from the old Boston Garden. How cool was the old Boston Garden?

It was all you could hope for in a venue. I saw Guns N' Roses there before Axl got hair plugs. Be jealous. That was on St. Patrick's Day in 1993 before Dropkick Murphys existed. I had a great time but there were many Union Electricians that had something missing from their lives that year.

3. Did you know that your old broken bass cab with the Misfits and Freeeks stickers is in my basement?

Yes. Yes, I did. You've informed me of this before. I'd like to think you use it as a table so you can play Risk. Board game only. None of that computerized shit.

4. Back to the Garden, tell me about that OLW show...

It was frightening. There were many burly men there and I weighed 110 pounds. They were all angry. I'm not sure what they were angry about. Probably that Only Living Witness was the only good band in town.

5. I have a video of a young me moshing to the Ducky Boys at the last Trouble show at the Greek American Political Club, want to borrow it?

Yes please but I'm not a good borrower. You might want to consider it more like you're giving it to me.

6. I asked Mike K this: "why does mark lind hang out with so many unloved musicians?"

now pike west, radio, crass whiyr carr, any black athlete dies to drink I ask you this..

"How good is "Back Bay Cops" by the Freeeks?

Probably one of the greatest songs ever written by high school kids or beyond. By my estimates they will be inducted into the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame in 2020. I'm not sure if Ron Lacer's "Runt of the Litter" comp really qualifies as the initial release that is needed to be considered for the Hall though.

7. I recently saw you on the orange line and we continued on to the red line. Imagine if we didn't have mike k to talk about. how awkward would that have been?

It wouldn't have been awkward at all because if Mike K didn't exist then mankind would have invented a Mike K. He gives us something to believe, something to hold on to.... Something to tell us that life is worth living. I feel like if we didn't have the real Mike K to talk about then we could have talked about Figment Mike K.

8. Remember that Ducky Boys show I did at the Elks, how much did that rule?

Was that the one where I got the bloody nose cuz it was so hot in there? That was great. You're the greatest booking guy since Matt Galle traded in his Blood for Blood merch guy smock for My Chemical Romance's benjamins.

9. who's hotter? the girl from your band or the girl from the ragin teens? you dont need to answer this...

9a. would you rather play a show to a bunch of roslindale pipe fitters or savin hill roofers?

How do you make a dead baby float? One scoop of ice cream. Two scoops of dead baby.

10. How come you took the Reason Enough sticker off your bass?

Because Ian formed Reach the Sky and ruined everything.

11. Lets talk about that sick son of a bitch Jay Messina..Once when you played CBGB with Gang Green and the A-Team, I used his bass drum case to fill it with an many beers as humanly possible (12) to sneak into the club. He's awesome huh?

You haven't lived until you've had a near naked Jay Messina chase you around a hotel room in shit stained tighty whiteys trying to cuddle you. He's really hairy. And creepy if you're not into that sort of thing.

Rick Jefferson posts/says:
BUZZYS. RIP. My Papa used to take me there when I was a wee lad.


Anyway, Jimmy, this ones for you... Record release 1/1 with the SBC logo, hand drawn by Jet Flynn at the Cambridge Elks... cover art by Andy P (I think) ... sandwiched between a Vigilantes 7" and a Showcase Showdown 7".




BHC (and the like...) this ones for you... nevah hang up ya boots...


(missing from this photo out of sheer laziness... RTS demo tape, Dumptruck demo, Reason Enough 7", assorted Rodent Pop Records, a couple Mighty Mighty Bosstones 7"s, Ducky Boys split 7", a slew of other 7"s that I bought at Newbury Comics and various gigs around the Boston area from 1994-2004, and some Dropkick Murphys 7"s)

No comments:

Post a Comment